50th Michigan Student Film Festival at the DIA's Detroit Film Theatre
Saturday April 28, 2018
Emcee: Brad Galli, Channel 7, WXYZ Sports Anchor
- 10 AM: K-8 (Elem-Junior) Best of Show screening and awards
- 11:30 AM: Video Gear Raffle-Drawing (all festival entries eligible, must be present to win)
- 12:30 PM: 9-12 (Senior) Best of Show screening and awards
- 2:30 PM: Crystal Gallery After-Glow
Last month, 53 teachers received their students' entry results. Over 300 entries from across the state were carefully screened by 78 judges. Following the first round in Southfield and Holland on March 10th, another team of judges comprised of media professionals and college instructors screened nearly 80 entries that were deemed Excellent to determine the "Best of Show" selections to be screened at the DIA's beautiful Detroit Film Theatre on Saturday, April 28th beginning at 10 AM and free admission.
- Merit - Commendation for undertaking and completing a media production
- Honor - Cited for higher than average level of quality in content and/or technical achievement
- Excellence - Outstanding level of content and/or technical achievement
- Best-of-Show - Production is deserving of highest award and will be screened at the festival
Remember, only films that received Best of Show will be screened at the DIA on April 28th. We wish we had time to show the Excellent, Honor and Merit level recipients, but we don't.
Other Cool Things!
- Category Prizes: $250 ProCam gift cards for categories (PSA, animation, etc.) and $500 cash prizes for Best Documentary (honoring John Prusak) and the Maple Theatre's Best Narrative Film will be announced at the 50th Michigan Student Film Festival. All videos receiving a Best of Show are being considered for these prizes.
- Best of Show Awards: Recipients will receive t-shirts courtesy of Buddy's Pizza, personalized lanyards and a trophy --extra trophies can be ordered for $30 at this link if ordered by April 15th.
- Raffle Drawings at the Break! We will also be drawing for prizes of camera and production gear between the K-8 and 9-12 reels as well as a Canon DSLR package drawn from our schools with an institutional level membership. All student-entries are in the hopper and winners (or a rep from their school) must be present to win.
- Castorri Audience-Choice Award: We will also again have two audience-choice awards of a $250 ProCam gift card for the K-8 and the 9-12 Best of Show reel!