There are no upcoming dates for this event.
Objective: To interface high school students with film and television professionals on an actual film set and film studio.
Lesson Plan: The students interact with film and television professionals representing cinematography, film lighting, location sound mixing, script supervising and producing. Students will be rotated through the various departments.
1) Students: This program is intended to serve for a high school's media program that requires a field trip to a professional facility or a student who must “job shadow” a professional in the film/television industry. Students DO NOT have to be part of a school's media program, however.
2) Transportation: Each school or student is responsible for their own transportation to and from Motion Picture Institute.
3) Fees: The workshop is $10.00 per student for the morning session. Note: The full-day session was cancelled due to low-enrollment (5/27).
4) Time: The field trip starts at 8:30 am with students rotating between departments.
5) Chaperone: It is expected that a school-approved chaperone will be present with the students at MPI for the length of their stay.
1) Refreshments: Motion Picture Institute provides water and snacks. (usually water, pop and donuts). We also have snack-filled vending machines available.
2) Qualified Staff: Cinematographer, Gaffer, Location Sound Mixer, Script Supervisor and film Producer.
3) All necessary equipment, space: The facility is Motion Picture Institute and is conducted on a professional soundstage where hundreds of commercial spots have been shot as well as music videos and independent feature films. Equipment will be on hand including professional cameras, lighting, grip and audio equipment.
- Film Lighting Technician / Electrician
- Location Sound Mixer
- Script Supervisor
- In each session students meet with a film professional who will talk about the duties, responsibilities and day in the life of their respective job. They will discuss the required skills, training, studies, path a person must consider in pursuing this career and how much this job can expect to earn. Hands on instruction will include operation of the basic tools used in that particular job including cameras, lighting, and audio recording equipment. Students will be encouraged to ask questions.
- Production Manager/Producer--KATHRYN McDERMOTT Kathryn was vice president of production for Columbia studios from 1995 to 2005. She supervised the productions for Last of the Mohicans, Striking Distance, My Life, Spiderman, Spiderman 2.1, Charlie’s Angels, Hitch, Only the Lonely, First Knight, Memoirs of a Geisha, Closer, Charlie’s Angels 2 and hundreds more.
- Script Supervisor--AMBER FRITZ: Amber has worked all over the country as a Script Supervisor. Her film credits asa script supervisor include Batman vs. Superman the Dawn of Justice, Transformers 4 Age of Extinction, Whiplash, Low Winter Sun, 12 Monkeys (TV series), American Prophet, Eloise, Lost River, Love and Honor, Piranha 3DD, Family Weekend, LOL, Mary and Martha, Scream 4, Harold and Kumar 3D, The Occult, Jessabelle, The Color of Time, Highland Park, The End of Tour, Batman vs. Superman the Dawn of Justice, and music videos for Eminem and Spike Lee. Amber is a member of IATES local 161, IATSE local 38, the Script Supervisors guild, attended the University of Michigan, and is a 2008 graduate of the Motion Picture Institute.
- Gaffer--MATTHEW TUPPEN Born in Singapore, Matthew Tuppen is a Gaffer, Set-Electrician, Writer and Director. Matthew graduated from Motion Picture Institute in 2011 and has since worked on numerous feature films, documentaries, television series, commercials, and music videos. Some of Matt's work includes; Do You Believe?, Destined, Moontrap: Target Earth, The Dunes, Brew Dogs, Bob, the Accessory...Commercials for Ford Motor Company and Music Videos for Eminem and Psycho Pathic Records.
- Cinematographer--PATRICK ELLIOTT Patrick is a graduate of the Motion Picture Institute of Michigan in 2007. He has worked on as a camera operator, First Assistant Camera, Director of Photography, Data Manger for advertising, music videos short and feature films.